About Me

Grand Rapids, MI, United States
I am a newlywed with some New Year's resolutions. I invite you to join me in the adventure of my first year of marriage! I am going to attempt a new recipe each week (though I barely know how to cook!) I will also try some sort of new stretch or exercise each week (perhaps dragging my husband along!) My third resolution? Just to keep writing, which is the purpose of this blog. If I like the recipes I try, I'll post them for you to check out. Same with the exercises. If my attempts fail miserably, I'll make you laugh with the stories. So, here's to a new year! I'm sure it will be quite an adventure :)

Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy New Year!

Well folks, here goes!  I have never blogged before, but I suppose there needs to be a first time for everything.  Let me start by giving you a tiny snapshot of my life.  My name is Megan Eilean Nollet.  I married my best friend on December 18 of last year.  We took off for a honeymoon to Cancun, and now are moving ourselves back in to a snowy Grand Rapids, Michigan.  My husband works/studies at Van Andel Research Institute.  I... am blogging, lol!  We both graduated from Calvin College in Grand Rapids.  Eric with a degree in Bio-Chemistry.  Me with a degree in English.  People have been asking me since I left for college if I was going to teach with my English degree.  I have always said no.  Writing is what I like to do, not teaching, so here I am :)  I'm not just going to sit at home, though.  In the next month or so I will be applying to any job that looks promising, and also sending in an application for the seminary across the road from us.  We'll see what comes from it all, I suppose!

Now, for my new year's resolutions, which are to be the focus of this blog.  Cooking.  Every wife is supposed to be able to cook, right?  I can, I guess.  Very mediocre meals.  I have been asked if I have any burn marks from the stove yet....  I do not!  But maybe that only means I haven't been cooking enough.  We received MANY cookbooks as wedding gifts.  Perhaps folks were worried for Eric's well-being?  He helps me cook in the kitchen, and we make do alright.  But I like variety, and am actually quite excited to try out my new cookbooks. 

As for the exercise... not so exciting.  I have a TERRIBLE time motivating myself to exercise.  But we decided that since we are now old and married, we'd better try to make exercise more of a habit :)  We would like to avoid being married and morbidly obese!  Currently we live in an apartment and we don't own a car, both of which factor into our exercise options.  For starters, we'll probably just walk a lot, and call that good.  It's slightly ironic, I think.  People buy cars so they don't have to walk to the store or carry heavy bags home.  Then they buy gym memberships so that they can walk on a treadmill and lift weights!  Granted, we want a car, and are saving up for one.  Walking outside in winter can get a bit chilly.  But for the time being, not having a car seems like a fairly healthy option.

Goals for this week then:  make an apple nut dip (and employ the powers of our new blender - I have never used a blender before - in the process), and get outside to walk despite the cold.  Check back to see how I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment